Can dogs eat roses?  A better question might be will you dog eat your roses.  God put those little thorns on them to keep Fido out of trouble.  Most dogs won’t go near them.  If a few petals fall off and the little guy takes a taste it’a not that bad.  It may make a mess for you to clean up.  But, roses are not known to be toxic.  To learn more about toxic plants for animals go to:   If you believe that your animal is ill or may have ingested a poisonous substance, or if you have any further questions regarding the information contained in this database, contact either your local veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435.